Friday, May 20, 2016

I was born at Crittenton Centers.



This past Friday the 13th was not scary but it was a once in a lifetime moment for me!

As the Development and Marketing Director at Crittenton Centers; I have given the tour at least 100 times telling our visitors, "Crittenton Centers opened in 1892 as a home for unwed mothers and we adopted out over 4000 babies."  Pointing to the picture on the wall, I say "Bruce Johnston of the Beach Boys is are most famous baby born at Crittenton Centers."

Last Friday the 13th at 4:00 p.m. the office was really quiet and my secretary asked down the hall if someone could help Mr. Johnston up front with some information about our history.  

He wanted to know if he could see the place he was born.  I told him the building was still standing on Heading Ave about a 10 minute drive from here. He walked over from his hotel, so I offered to drive him in my car which has my son's car seat and his mess.  He smiled and said "I have four children, don't worry."

Upon arrival, we took a picture of him in front of the building.(shown above)  Then we proceeded to look for the room he was born. We searched several rooms and hallways with no person in sight.   Almost ready to leave, we heard voices coming from the other side of the building.  One woman was still working, we asked if she knew the history of the building and she pointed us towards a plaque on the wall. Bruce looked at her and said I was born in this building. Before he could say anything more, she said you must have been born in my room.  She lead us to the birthing room of the original Crittenton Centers.  It is still a sound proof room with 4" thick steal doors because they didn't have epidurals for the mothers giving birth at that time in history.



He was gracious and let us take a picture. When we left, I told him it was a GOD moment because the one person still working in the building was renting the birthing room and could let us in to see it. He agreed and as we drove back to his hotel, he sang the Grammy Award winning song that he wrote for Barry Manilow called, I Write the Songs.  

Sandy Garza, Development and Marketing Director





No comments:

Post a Comment